Welcome to EYFS – Reception!
Your children’s teachers are: Miss Kinsey (EYK), Mrs James (EYJ) alongside our teaching assistans Mrs Wise and Mrs Hassall. In reception we learn through first hand experiences, discussion, outdoor experiences as well as daily focused literacy and maths lessons and weekly worship.
An ‘egg-citing’ half term ahead looking at growing, life cycles and seasons. We are welcoming eggs and baby chicks into reception and reading non-fiction texts all about new life. The children are enjoying all learning and have recently planted sunflower seeds to help grow for our outdoor area. For updates on our learning follow us on Twitter @StMichaelsStone
The children are having a fantastic time learning about Nocturnal and diurnal animals reading our core story ‘Night Monkey, Day Monkey’. To support this topic we enjoyed a trip to The Wolseley Centre, pond dipping looking for pond creatures and learning about the lifecycle of a frog. The children have created some wonderful art, drawing owls looking closely at their features as well as writing facts from Non Fiction texts. In R.E we have been focusing on the Easter Story and look forward to sharing this with you at our Easter Family cafe on Wednesday 10th April, 9-10am.
This half term the topic focuses on People who help us and we have had some great visitors so far! The Police have taught the children about their jobs and they experienced a Police van. A nurse has also visited and the children enjoyed activities such as making name badges, fixing bandages on each other and putting a skeleton back together. Their learning is growing fast and the children are now beginning to read, write and think mathematically with independence. We look forward to our next Family Cafe where families can join in learning with your child.
- Thursday 17th January 6-7pm: Parent Phonics workshop
- Tuesday 12th February 9-10am: Family Cafe
A super half term learning about ‘Festivals and Celebrations!’ We have explored diwali, Christenings, Weddings, Hannukah, Advent and the Christmas Story. The art activities from this topic has meant the childen have explored different media such as clay for diva’s, salt dough, collage and painting. Thank you to all the adults who came to see our wonderful Nativity play which the children were fantastic in. All their hard work wowed you on the day! Our trip to see Santa at Cannock chase was a success and the children had a wonderful time! We hunted reindeers in the forest, met Santa and explored the magic of Christmas.
The children have settled in wonderfully and are making new friends rapidly. They are enjoying exploring new activities and showing off their academic skills from Nursery. Teaching has already begun and the children show great engagement. We are beginning to learn phase 2 phonics, recognising and writing our numbers to 10 as well as explore nature in Forest School and discuss thankfulness in R.E lessons. Attached below is our half termly newsletter.
Events coming up 2018:
- 13th September – Meet the teacher evening. 6-6.25pm or 6.30-7pm.
- 25th September – Macmillan coffee morning and activities with the children. 9-10am.
- 29th September – St Michaels open day.
How to help at home: Learning takes part all day every day until your child goes to sleep so here some ideas to support a home:
- Reading – Ask your child to find the alphabet letters we are learning in school and begin to segment and blend words. We have been learning many of the phase 2 and 3 common misconception words. Also reading their library books to them or visiting the library is a fun way to harbour a love of reading.
- Tapestry – If you go on any little adventures at the weekends or your child does some amazing work at home, please share it with us on Tapestry. We love to share these each week with the class.
- Number hunts – When you’re out shopping, walking or at home, get your child to hunt for numbers, reading and writing them.
- Playing games online…Great websites to use are www.topmarks.co.uk, www.starfall.com, www.ictgames.com and many more.
- Jolly phonics – This is our phonics reading and writing scheme – play the songs on youtube and look for games on phonicsplay.co.uk
- Chatter time – speaking is crucial to a child’s development as it feeds into every aspect of our EYFS curriculum. Have some time to talk with your child each day whether you’re sharing a story, role play, walking and days out. enhance their confidence and imagination and this will support their learning greatly.
- Education city – Every September your child will receive a new Education City log on and password. This is a great tool to practice skills in all areas of the curriculum. Have a browse and ask the teachers if you need any further support.