British Values at Saint Michael’s CE (VC) First School
Throughout our Curriculum and Ethos, we aim to promote British Values within all aspects of school life. We expect individuals associated with our school to aim to adhere and respect these values which unite us all whatever our faith, ethnicity, culture or beliefs.
The Government emphasises that schools are required to ensure that key ‘British Values’ are taught in all UK schools. The Government set out its definition of British values in the ‘Prevent Strategy’ – values of:
- Rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance of those of different faiths and belief
We uphold the values of tolerance, equality, respect, co-operation, responsibility, compassion and democracy.
There are times when our taught curriculum cover these values as themes but we also make the most out of other opportunities that present themselves locally, nationally or globally. The way in which these are taught are appropriate to the stages of development of the children.
We embed these values through:
- Our high expectations regarding conduct and interaction with each other
- Close links with Saint Michael’s and Saint Wulfads Church
- Our positive behaviour management system
- Whole school themed weeks
- School council
- Charity work and fund raising in school
- Links with other agencies
- Celebrating different faiths and cultures within our curriculum
- School trips
- Sports day/Physical education
- PTA events
- Appreciation of rules and laws to protect people
- A family discussion point on our fortnightly newsletter focussing on a British Value
- A weekly newspaper article for Children in Years 3 and 4
We have high aspirations for all of our children. We believe that children can contribute positively to their own lives as a child and in the future as a responsible, confident and skilled learner with a desire to play an active role in society. We aim to ensure that our school allows our children to be active members of the community and helps prepare them for their future lives growing up and engaging fully in our society.