Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
‘Pupils who have special educational needs (SEN) and/or disabilities are supported well and make good progress.’ OFSTED report November 2017
At St Michael’s CE (VC) First School, we embrace the fact that every child is unique, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are also unique. We are a fully inclusive school and as a school we adapt to make sure that the needs of all our children are met, including those with special needs. We aim to develop the potential of all our children. We believe that every child has a right to full access to the foundation stage and National curriculum. We aim to provide each child with a broad, balanced and relevant education, within and beyond the Curriculum.
What is the Local Offer?
The LA Local Offer
- The Children and Families Bill was enacted in 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.
- The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.
Staffordshire’s Local Offer can be accessed:
SEND Offer at St. Michael’s
Please click on the questions below to see what is available for your child at St Michael’s First School:
Who can I contact for further information or if I have any concerns?
If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling please contact the following:
- Your child’s class teacher
- The SENCo
- The Headteacher
- For complaints please contact the School Governor with responsibility for SEN (Mrs. M. Moss)
The SEN policy complies with the statutory requirement laid out in the SEND Code of Practice 0 – 25 and has been written with reference to the following guidance and documents:
- Equality Act 2010: advice for schools DfE Feb 2013
- SEND Code of Practice 0 – 25 (2014)
- Schools SEN Information Report Regulations (2014)
- Statutory Guidance on Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions April 2014
- The National Curriculum in England Key Stage 1 and 2 framework document Sept 2015
- Saint Michael’s Safeguarding Policy
- Saint Michael’s Accessibility Plan
- Teachers Standards 2012