Ensuring Every Child Achieves.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

 ‘Pupils who have special educational needs (SEN) and/or disabilities are supported well and make good progress.’ OFSTED report November 2017

At St Michael’s CE (VC) First School, we embrace the fact that every child is unique, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are also unique. We are a fully inclusive school and as a school we adapt to make sure that the needs of all our children are met, including those with special needs. We aim to develop the potential of all our children. We believe that every child has a right to full access to the foundation stage and National curriculum.  We aim to provide each child with a broad, balanced and relevant education, within and beyond the Curriculum.

What is the Local Offer?

The LA Local Offer

  • The Children and Families Bill was enacted in 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.
  • The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

Staffordshire’s Local Offer can be accessed on the Staffordshire Connects Website (Linked below):


SEND Offer at St. Michael’s

The information below highlights what is available for your child at St Michael’s First School.

For a more in depth Report please follow the link below: 


What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need?

If you are concerned about your child’s progress then please come and talk to us. You should first talk to your child’s teacher about your concerns who may wish to arrange a meeting with you to discuss this further.

If your concerns continue a meeting can be arranged with your child’s class teacher and the SENCo, this can be arrange by contacting the office or the SENCo email address:

Who are the best people to talk to about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

The Class Teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.
  • Writing SMART targets with clear outcomes for School Support Plans (SSPs) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map.
  • Directing teaching assistants within the classroom as appropriate to support the needs of the children within it.
  • Communicating with parents and ensuring they are up to date on the progress or difficulties your child is facing.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.
  • Supporting your child’s learning through specific interventions and provisions.


The SENCo – Mrs Gardiner

Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy.
  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Monitoring that class teachers are ensuring that you are :
  1. Involved in supporting your child’s learning
  2. Kept informed about the support your child is getting
  3. Involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.
  • Meeting termly with the Governor with responsibility for SEN to update them on whole school progress and impact of interventions.


The Head Teacher: Mrs. J. Wass

Responsible for:

  • The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.


The SEN Governor: Mrs. M. Moss

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.
  • That school policies are current, up to date and reviewed regularly.
What will happen if the school think my child has a special educational need?

If your child’s class teacher is concerned about your child then they will discuss this with the SENCo and additional strategies may be put into place to support your child.

Your child’s class teacher will share their concerns with you and will ask for your views and opinions about how they are progressing. This may lead to a school support plan being put into place with personalised targets being set to allow for further progression.

If necessary, a referral may be made to an external agency and you will be asked to give permission for this.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

Class teacher input, via outstanding targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching)

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or through the use of additional resources.
  • Pupils with a disability will be provided with “reasonable adjustments” in order to increase their access to the taught curriculum.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


Specific group work

Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).


Specialist support from outside agencies

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/ Class Teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.


What could happen:

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language

Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school. The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.


Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) (previously known as a Statement of Special Educational Needs). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.


Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from the Local Authority/entrust (e.g. Special Educational Needs and Inclusion Service) or outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.


For your child this would mean

The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child. After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support. After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible. The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child. The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Who provides support to children with SEND at St Michael’s?

School Provision

  • Teachers responsible for the teaching of all children within their classroom, however other adults may support your child’s learning during the school day.
  • Teaching Assistants and HLTAs working in either the classroom or group rooms with either individual children or small groups.
  • ICT support in the form of writing and maths programmes are delivered by teaching assistants during specified ICT lessons and small group or individual sessions, according to need.
  • TA offering support for children with emotional and social development through our Nurture and Friendship groups.


External Agency Provision delivered in school

  • Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENIS)
  • Behaviour Support Service
  • Autism Outreach Team
  • Hearing Impairment team
  • Visual Impairment team
  • Educational Psychologist Service
  • Educational Welfare Officers
  • Social Services
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • CAMHs (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The school receives funding to respond to the needs of pupils with SEND from a number of sources: A proportion of the funds allocated per pupil to the school to provide for their education; The Notional SEN budget.  In addition, for those pupils with the most complex needs, the school may be allocated Additional Educational Needs funding.  This funding is then used to provide the equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs and disabilities through:

  • In-class support from teaching assistants
  • Small group support from teaching assistants e.g. nurture groups, literacy and numeracy support
  • Specialist support from teachers e.g. 1:1 tuition
  • Bought in support from external agencies e.g. access arrangement assessment, speech and language support.
  • Parent workshops
  • Provision of specialist resources e.g. assessment software
  • CPD relating to SEND for staff

For pupils with SEN but without an Education Health and Care plan, the decision regarding the support required will be taken at joint meetings with the SENCo, class teacher and parent.   For pupils with a Health or Care plan, this decision will be reached when the plan is being produced or annual review.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Teachers plan using pupils’ achievement levels and differentiate work to match the ability of all pupils in the classroom.  When a pupil has been identified as having special needs, their work will be further differentiated by the class teacher to remove barriers to learning and enable them to access the curriculum more easily.

They may also be provided with additional support through the use of resources of adult support.

How are teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND, and what training do the teachers have?

The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and speech and language difficulties.  Training is also provided where appropriate to meet a child’s medical needs.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team, Speech and Language Therapists, precision teaching, how to support pupils with dyslexic traits and/ or a diagnosis of dyslexia, attendance at termly SENCO update and many more

How will I know how my child is doing

Termly review meetings are held between the class teacher and parents to review the child’s individual SSP targets and to set new targets where appropriate. Copies of SSPs are provided to be taken home for work to be continued where appropriate.

The progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education. This is in addition to three termly meetings with the class teacher.

The SENCo will share with you any reports received from external agencies, this may be done through a meeting or a copy of a report may be posted to you.

Throughout your child’s time at school they will also complete a number of official assessments, such as the Year 1 Phonics screener and the Year 2 SATs. All of these results will be shared with you in your child’s school report.

How is St Michael’s First School accessible to children with SEND?
  • The school has easy access doors and ramps.
  • There are three disabled toilets.
  • A medical room is available as a safe place to meet children’s medical needs
  • We ensure wherever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN and they are encouraged to take part in these.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils. These include:

  • An evaluated Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PHSE) curriculum that aims to provide pupils with the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to enhance their emotional and social knowledge and well-being.
  • Pupil and Parent voice mechanisms are in place and are monitored for effectiveness by the Governor for responsibility for this area.
  • Small group evidence-led interventions to support pupil’s wellbeing are delivered to targeted pupils and groups. These aim to support improved interaction skills, emotional resilience and wellbeing.
  • The school runs nurture and friendship groups during lunchtimes that children can be invited to.
  • TAs within the school provide opportunities for children to ‘drop in’ if they have any concerns or worries.
  • We place great emphasis on physical health and well-being, sports premium money is being used to help support the children’s physical wellbeing.


Pupils with medical needs

Pupils with medical needs will be provided with a detailed Health Care Plan, compiled by the school nurse in partnership with parents and if appropriate, the pupil themselves.  Staff who administer medicine complete training and are signed off by the school nurse as competent.  All medicine administration procedures adhere to the LA policy and DfE guidelines included within Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions (DfE) 2014

How will we support your child when they are joining/leaving this school or moving to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

On entry:

  • A planned programme of visits are provided in the summer term for pupils starting in September.
  • Parent/carers are invited to a meeting at the school and are provided with a range of information to support them in enabling their child to settle into the school routine.
  • The SENCo meets with all new parents of pupils who are known to have SEND to allow concerns to be raised and solutions to any perceived challenges to be located prior to entry.
  • If pupils are transferring from another school, the previous school records will be requested immediately and a meeting will be set up with parents to identify and reduce any concerns.


If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.


When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. School Support Plans and previous provisions will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.


Transition to Middle School (Y4)

  • The transition programme in place for pupils in Y4 provides a number of opportunities for pupils and parents to meet staff in the new school. These opportunities are further enhanced for pupils with SEN and identified on the website
  • The annual review in Y3 for pupils with a statement of educational need or an Education, Health and Care plan begins the process where parents are supported to make decisions regarding middle school choice.
  • Parents will be encouraged to consider options for the next phase of education and the school will involve outside agencies, as appropriate, to ensure information is comprehensive but accessible.
  • Parents will be enabled to consider options for the next phase of education and may like to take advantage of the support offered by the independent Staffordshire School Choice. Information on this service is located on the Staffordshire website at ,
  • Accompanied visits to other providers may be arranged as appropriate.
  • For pupils transferring to local schools, the SENCos of both schools will meet to discuss the needs of pupils with SEN in order to ensure a smooth transition.

The records of pupils who leave the school mid phase will be transferred within five working days of the parents notifying their child has been enrolled at another school.

Who can I contact for further information or if I have any concerns?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling please contact the following:

  • Your child’s class teacher
  • The SENCo
  • The Headteacher
  • For complaints please contact the School Governor with responsibility for SEN (Mrs. M. Moss)


The SEN policy complies with the statutory requirement laid out in the SEND Code of Practice 0 – 25 and has been written with reference to the following guidance and documents:

  • Equality Act 2010: advice for schools DfE Feb 2013
  • SEND Code of Practice 0 – 25 (2014)
  • Schools SEN Information Report Regulations (2014)
  • Statutory Guidance on Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions April 2014
  • The National Curriculum in England Key Stage 1 and 2 framework document Sept 2015
  • Saint Michael’s Safeguarding Policy
  • Saint Michael’s Accessibility Plan
  • Teachers Standards 2012